Franschhoek Mountain Chamber Music Workshop 2024
A guide to being a worthy participant in this community:
Dear parents and students:
What follows is a schedule of rules and regulations put in place for the safety and well-being of all the people involved in the upcoming workshop. Sadly the general environment in South Africa has become a cause for concern across the board in matters of security. In addition to this, we believe that the young people on this course will be best served when all expectations are spelled out clearly and are treated with a sense of honour and pride in being part of this community.
Therefore please be so kind as to carefully read the following:
Rules and Regulations
- Students will be responsible for keeping the bedrooms tidy - black bags will be provided.
- There will be no open flames such as candles, lighters or incense in the rooms.
- Students may not enter another student's room in his or her absence without his or her permission.
- Rooms may NOT be locked when a student is in a room.
- Students may ask permission to change to a different room - if this is allowed student must remain committed to the newly allocated room.
- Students may NOT sleep in any room other than the room allocated.
- Students may NOT visit the room of any student of the opposite sex.
- All students will be required to be in their OWN rooms by 22h30 and lights must be put out by 23h00.Students 12 years old and younger will have their lights put out at 22h00.
- No student will be permitted to exit the building after 22h00 or before 06h00, except in the case of an emergency.
A student may not have visitors during the workshop, at any time of the day or night. An exception to this is made for visits by immediate family, provided that the visit does not interfere with any workshop activity, and provided that the visit is cleared with a staff member so that those in charge know when the student will leave and come back.
A student will be dismissed if found in violation of any of the following rules:
- Honesty: Dishonesty is a betrayal of trust and is unacceptable in any form.
Alcohol: Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages (no matter how low the alcoholic content is) is forbidden. RED BULL and similar drinks are strictly forbidden at any time.
- Drugs: Forbidden except as specifically prescribed to the student by a physician.
- Unauthorised visitors: None are allowed at any time of day or night.
A student will be liable for dismissal if caught in the act of any of the following:
- Showing disrespect for others: Students who encroach upon the personal rights of others, whether in the form of bullying or baiting, harassment on grounds of religion, gender, race or sexual orientation, will be subject to disciplinary action.
- Antisocial behaviour: Foul language and/or gestures.
- Stealing: This should not need further clarification - borrowing another's property without permission is also forbidden.
- Smoking or using tobacco.
- Violating any of the curfews as set out in the dormitory guidelines.
- Being absent from a session without a valid excuse or permission (oversleeping is NOT a valid excuse).
- Compromising the good name of the Franschhoek Chamber Music Workshop in any way whatsoever.